Call for Proposals – Creative Business Incubator
submit your application – Applications accepted March 15 – April 15, 2016
About the DownStreet Art Creative Business Incubator Programs
Have you considered opening your own studio/gallery/pop-up retail space or creative business but not sure where to start? As part of our mission to revitalize North Adams, DownStreet Art will partner with you to provide the support and tools necessary to encourage your sustained presence in downtown North Adams. As part of this inaugural project, DSA will provide:
- Assigned Arts Management or Studio Art Intern (20 hours week)
- Opportunity to be featured as a creative business on downstreet art marketing materials and to have a featured presence on the downstreet art website and social media
- Possibilities to extend lease after DownStreet Art ends on month-to-month or year basis with landlord (flexible terms)
- Support and Mentorship from a range of local experts including the staff of MCLA’s Berkshire Cultural Resource Center.
Intern will work with you to provide the following (as applicable to your proposal):
– Arts Management toolkit including some or all of the following:
- Business plan
- Marketing plan
- Create or improve website
- Manage social media channels
- Create EPK (electronic press kit) and provide templates for:
- Press release
- Hi-Res Images
– Staff space (10 hours per week)
– Act as studio or gallery assistant
If selected you agree to:
- Inhabit a pop-up space for the duration of the project – from June 1 – October 30, 2016 and pay below market rent for the space negotiated by DownStreet art and landlord (expected rent $200 up to $750/month). Rents will vary based on the square footage of available space. We will work with you, and the building owner to secure space suitable to your needs.
- Keep regular business hours (open to the public at least 20 hours per week, 10 of which may be staffed by Intern).
- Hold at least one public event per month (example – exhibition opening, class/demonstration, reading, performance, lecture).
- Participate in all DownStreet Art Thursdays, scheduled for: June 30, July 28, August 25 and September29
- Work with the staff of DownStreet Art to collectively market downtown North Adams as a cultural destination.
You may (and our encouraged to) offer goods/services for sale as part of DownStreet Art. DownStreet Art will not facilitate sales on your behalf and we will not collect any commission for works sold as part of the incubator program. We will ask you to provide sales figures and attendance numbers that will be used to evaluate the economic impact of our program.
How to Apply:
- Submit a project proposal detailing your proposed use for the space (studio, pop-up gallery, site specific project, etc.), how you will benefit from this opportunity and how your proposal will benefit the mission of downstreet art. (limit 1000 words)
- Provide the following attachments
- Submit a budget that demonstrates your ability to operate the space. (view/download a sample budget)
- A current CV or Resume, not to exceed 3 pages (for each of the proposed business partners)
- 5 – 10 examples of your work (can be a combination of existing and proposed work)
- for visual work – in .jpg format at least 1MB in size. 300dpi, 1000px on longest side.
- For video/sound/performance work – submit youtube or vimeo links of a representative sample 1-5 minutes in length
- For written works – submit a 10 page sample
- For all others – please provide a representative sample of your creative work, please contact DownStreet Art with any questions.
The theme for DownStreet Art 2016 is Meet Your Neighbors, and in an effort to highlight the amazing talent of local artists, we are limiting proposals to artists living or working within 20 miles of North Adams, MA.
Call for entry opens – March 15
Applications submitted – March 15 to April 15
Proposal Review – April 18 – April 29
Notifications – May 2
Deposit due – June 1*
Space available – June 15
* a one month deposit confirms your participation in the project and will be applied to the first month of rent. Please contact us if you need to discuss a payment arrangement or alternate dates.